Foyer Flooring Replacement, continued
Yesterday was a good day. Not only did we get Jewel’s ipod screen replaced, but earlier in the day, I managed to get the bathroom tile installed. Next step for this space is the grouting, but my wife is planning to do that. We make a good team.
Today, didn’t make visible progress on the foyer floor, but my wife and Sparky took turns scraping up the old glue from the dining room floor while I trimmed the bottoms of various door and window jambs in preparation for flooring. I also laid out and started cutting the first five rows of planks. I like to pre-cut several rows at a time in case that I make a mistake, I can fix it without stressing out that the adhesive is drying out.
Speaking of not stressing out, I’ve been working on this with my therapist and my biggest accomplishment this weekend was in not stressing out over stuff.
Usually with these projects I get stressed out over getting a late start because sleeping in on weekends takes priority, then I get stressed out when I make mistakes and have to do it over again. Then I work thru lunch and get stressed out that I won’t be done in time to stop, and damit, I just want to get this shiznit done, so I bust my ass and work on the project into late hours of the night. and then I’m all tired.
So, my therapist and I have been talking about setting boundaries over everything. And this weekend, it worked out well for me. I woke up late on Saturday morning, but didn’t sweat it. I said to myself that I was only going to work on the bathroom for four hours, and then I was going to go down to our local hackerspace to fix the ipod and help build a 3D printer. And sure enough, I managed to get the tile down by 1pm. Jewel and I had lunch and then were on the road to the shop by 2pm.
At the shop, it’s a funky hackerspace that’s fully outfitted with tools and work benches. There were a couple of boxes of donuts but only a few people there. Jewel and I settled into a work bench, and then proceeded to eat donuts and watch the youtube screen replacement video for about 30 mins.
We then proceeded to disassemble, and it went well. The video recommended that you should turn the ipod back on with the new screen connected and verify that it works before putting it back together because you only get one chance with the adhesive. So we did that, and it worked. Score!
Then, we reassembled it, and it didn’t work. Oh man, well we were in this cool space, far from home, so I didn’t sweat it and we took the ipod back apart and found that the screen connector had popped out. Normally, I would have lost my cool if this had happened at home. But this time I just took a deep breath and we tried again. I discovered that the tiny little connector pops out really easy if you twist it at just the right angle… an angle that apparently get’s encountered during reassembly. It took me about 4 tries to get it. But get it I did.
I don’t recommend replacing ipod touch 4th gen screens unless you are actively seeing a therapist or other mental health provider.
After all that, it was about 6:45 pm and I was finally getting to work on what I really wanted to be working on all along, building a 3D printer. I have been posted on this much yet because, well I haven’t actually done anything worth mentioning. But Saturday night, got the dam thing to connect to the computer, and move along all three axis in response to a command. I couldn’t believe it. I texted the wife that it was one small step for the hackerspace, and one giant leap for me.
I’ll follow up with more on this topic later. But for now, I have no idea how it happened, but I managed to wire up this circuit board and have it actually work all simply by just following the steps in the instructions that I did not understand.